The NASCAR Cup Series Awards banquets could have a new home in the future with a move from Las Vegas to Nashville, Tennessee, NBC Sports has confirmed.
Butch Spyridon, CEO of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp, confirmed discussions are taking place between the organization and NASCAR to host the event.
“I can confirm that we have been talking (about) and pursuing this event for quite some time,” Spyridon said in a statement. “We do not have any signed agreements at this time. We can only hope the speculation is accurate.”
The negotiations were first reported by the Sport Business Journal.
The banquet, which honors the Cup champion and the top finishers in the playoffs, has been held in Las Vegas since 2009. Last year it was held Nov. 29 at the Wynn Hotel.
“Las Vegas has a great partnership with NASCAR and we have been thrilled to host the awards banquet for the past 10 years,” the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority said in a statement to NBC Sports. “We look forward to hosting our two triple-header race weekends this year and would be happy to host the banquet again if NASCAR decides to bring it back here.”
The possible relocation to Nashville comes at the same time that NASCAR could be preparing a return to racing in the city.
In December, Bristol Motor Speedway and Formosa Productions reached a deal to explore the option of bringing NASCAR racing back to the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway.
The deal needs to be approved by Nashville’s Metro Board of Fair Commissioners. The board is scheduled to meet today. Its agenda lists an “Update on Discussions with Formosa Productions and Speedway Motorsports Inc.”