Spectators will be not be allowed for any of the NASCAR playoff races next weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the track announced Friday night.
A press release said only essential personnel will be allowed to attend the Cup, Xfinity and Truck playoff races there.
“To say we’re disappointed that we will conduct the South Point 400 playoff weekend without fans would be a gross understatement,” said Las Vegas Motor Speedway President Chris Powell. “Our staff has been working – many of them remotely – since the February Pennzoil 400 to prepare the speedway for our playoff tripleheader.
“But we must adhere to Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak’s directive that limits gatherings due to COVID-19. While we disagree with this policy, we have no choice but to oblige. We certainly regret this situation for the thousands of race fans who won’t be able to attend our NASCAR-weekend events.”
Nevada’s re-opening plan does not permit fans at sporting events, concerts. Groups are limited to 50 or fewer people.
The Las Vegas Raiders announced last month that they would not have fans at any of the team’s home games in its inaugural season there.
The Truck playoff race will be at 9 p.m. ET Sept. 25 on FS1. The Xfinity playoff opener will be at 7:30 p.m. ET Sept. 26 on NBCSN. The Cup playoff race will be 7 p.m. ET Sept. 27 on NBCSN.
Fans holding tickets for those events will be contacted by the speedway ticket services department to discuss credits for future races or refunds.