INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials told NBC Sports on Friday that they reviewed Brad Keselowski’s crash in last year’s Cup race but that no changes were made to the tire barrier or angled wall despite Keselowski’s concerns.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway stated to NBC Sports:
“IMS officials, in conjunction with NASCAR and IndyCar, reviewed the incident involving Brad Keselowski in last year’s race and determined that the existing safety features of that area meet all standards, while also allowing proper and expedient conversion of the circuit from road course to oval configuration for events like this historic tripleheader this weekend. The incident was also reviewed with industry experts from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. They reviewed video footage and data of the incident. They concluded that the design and installation provided safety coverage for oval traffic and allows the track to be a multi-usage facility.”
Keselowski crashed after contact with Erik Jones sent him into the outside wall in Turn 2. Keselowski’s car then slid across the track toward an angled wall protected by tire barriers. The right side of Keselowski’s car slammed into the tire barrier and came to rest propped up by the tire barrier, forcing Keselowski to slide out of the car to the ground.
The wall separates the oval portion of the track from Turn 10 on the road course. It also was where safety vehicles were located.
Keselowski expressed his displeasure with the angle of the wall after emerging from the infield care center last year.
“There’s this spot on the wall with just an atrocious angle,” Keselowski told NBC Sports.
“I don’t know what that spot is for, but it does not need to be there. We found it. That’s how racing goes. You find the things and we found this. This track really was part of the safety revolution about 15, 20 years ago. I think it’s time for another.”
Keselowski said after last year’s race he talked to Doug Boles, president of Indianapolis Motor Speedway about the wall.