Saturday was to have been the day NASCAR fans found out: Could someone defeat Kyle Busch in a Truck race?
The answer had been no in Busch’s last seven series starts, dating to 2018, but the interest in his streak built the last few weeks.
It started with a Feb. 22 tweet from Kevin Harvick: “I’ll put up a $50,000 bounty for any full time cup driver who races a truck and can beat @KyleBusch in his next 4 races. #gameon.”
Marcus Lemonis, from series sponsor Gander RV & Outdoors, added another $50,000 to Harvick’s bounty. Truck owner Chris Larsen pledged $50,000 to any Truck Series regular who could win a series race with Kyle Busch.
Suddenly, Saturday’s Truck race at Atlanta Motor Speedway became the most anticipated series event since the Trucks ran at Eldora Speedway for the first time in 2013.
With sports shut down, including NASCAR, for the foreseeable future because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Saturday became a day of confusion. What to do with no racing and no sports.
“I’m sitting here at home on a Saturday. It feels weird,” Matt DiBenedetto said in a video to fans.
Update from the DiBenedetto residence pic.twitter.com/T9GtCeOJcz
— Matt DiBenedetto (@mattdracing) March 14, 2020
Ryan Newman, who continues his recovery from a head injury suffered in a crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500, took time for more of what he called “therapy” on Saturday. He went fishing.
The best therapy today!!!! #takeakidfishing🎣 #outdoors #catchandrelease pic.twitter.com/sjyz0LzV1A
— Ryan Newman (@RyanJNewman) March 14, 2020
Aric Almirola did some racing at home with his children.
Getting our racing fix on despite the next two races being postponed.
— Aric Almirola (@Aric_Almirola) March 14, 2020
This much is certain. NASCAR postponed this weekend’s races at Atlanta Motor Speedway and next weekend’s races at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Dale Earnhardt Jr. was to have made his one Xfinity start at Miami. Now? We’ll see.
Next on the schedule is Texas Motor Speedway. It hosts Trucks, Xfinity and Cup on March 27-29.
On Friday, the mayor of Fort Worth, Texas issued a state of emergency that included a mandatory cancelation of any events or gatherings with an expected attendance of 250 people or more. The mandate, though, is for seven days.
Texas Motor Speedway issued a statement Saturday that track officials are “currently preparing to host our regularly scheduled events and will continue consulting with officials on best practices and recommendations.”
— Texas Motor Speedway (@TXMotorSpeedway) March 12, 2020
But there will be racing Sunday even if Atlanta Motor Speedway will sit silent.
Kevin Hamlin, spotter for Alex Bowman, tweeted that there will be a 100-lap NASCAR industry iRacing event at 3 p.m. ET Sunday. Among those scheduled to take part are Hamlin, Bowman, Earnhardt, William Byron, Bubba Wallace, Justin Allgaier, Harrison Burton and crew chief Chad Knaus.
Hey you guys, there’s still a cup race on Sunday!
Tune into @PodiumeSports on Twitch for a special 100 lap NASCAR industry @iRacing event Sunday the 15th at 3:00pm ET.https://t.co/NgKUTjuL1I pic.twitter.com/kPIoSu2FJp
— Kevin Hamlin (@KevinHamlin) March 14, 2020
DiBenedetto mentioned in his video to fans about an iRacing event next weekend..
As restrictions continue and events are postponed, the only races for NASCAR fans could be online events with some of the their favorite drivers.
“Hope all this stuff passes,” DiBenedetto said in his video to fans. “Hang with us and we can get back to the racetrack soon.”