Following the completion of its NASCAR events this weekend, Dover International Speedway will begin a $5.5 million overhaul of its Cup Series garage
The new, larger garage will be located between Turns 1 and 2 in the infield, moving it from its position closer to Turn 1 where it has been since the 1-mile track opened in 1969.
The project will begin May 6 and is scheduled for completion on Sept. 20, in time for Dover’s Oct. 4-6 race weekend.
Here are details on the new garage area.
- Expanded square footage: 23,100 from 18,400, a 20 percent increase
- Includes 44 large garage bays (15-foot by 30-foot) with individual garage doors for cars and teams
- Larger garage area footprint: Existing guard rail facing Turns 1 and 2 to be removed, along with grass areas on the inside of the turns. The area inside the apron will now be fully paved, with SAFER barriers covering the entire length of the inside walls of Turns 1 and 2.
- Design: Becker-Morgan Architects out of Dover, Delaware
- Contractor: Kent Construction out of Smyrna, Delaware