In NASCAR, drivers have to be both lucky and good – something that Kyle Busch and Adam Stevens learned at Las Vegas.
After spinning on Lap 233 while running 18th, Kyle Busch was lucky that his splitter did not get torn off the car. Unfortunately, the right front tire went down in that incident.
“It’s not going to stay together,” Busch said as he limped around the track back to the pits. “We’re gonna [expletive] go a lap down.”
“There’s nobody one lap down here, so we can afford to go one down,” Stevens replied.
Their luck held. On Lap 247, teammate Denny Hamlin spun into the grass at almost the exact spot, but his splitter dug into the grass and was ripped from the car.
“We’ll be the Lucky Dog here,” Stevens told Busch over the radio. “We have a set of stickers left. I don’t think hardly anybody on the lead lap has a set of stickers.”
With fresh tires, Busch charged up to seventh.
Here are some of this week’s highlights from Scan All:
- “Championship run starts now. We’ve got a good car; something we can win with today. Give ourselves a good shot in Miami.” – Joey Logano
- “I am a [expletive] 10 tight. I don’t know what we’re doing to this thing, but we might as well [expletive] start over.” – Kyle Busch
- “Listen to me. I know it’s frustrating, but we are right in the middle of this thing.” – Jeremy Bullins, Ryan Blaney’s crew chief said after Blaney and Aric Almirola made contact on the track
- “I know. I’ll calm down.” – Blaney
- “No you won’t, but it’s ok. I still love you.” – Bullins
- “It don’t matter if I speed, slide into the box. It don’t [expletive] matter. We’re going to get our [expletive] kicked when we get to the pit box.” – Austin Dillon
- “Hey. Listen here. These guys know they were slow, ok? They know. We’re talking about it.” – Danny Stockman, Dillon’s crew chief
- “I love everybody on this team, but we’re not going to have a shot doing this.” – Dillon
- “Guess we know what’s wrong. Piece of [expletive] tires.” – Kevin Harvick
- “If we could have had the lead, we’d of been fine. I just got to wait for it to come to me.” – Martin Truex Jr.
- “Three in a row at Vegas. Cha-ching, baby.” – Brad Keselowski’s spotter
For more, watch the video above.
(Editor’s Note: Danny Stockman was the crew chief for Austin Dillon this week instead of Justin Alexander. We regret the error.)