Regan Smith has a part-time ride for the 2017 racing season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
“We are looking at running 10-12 races this year with Regan,” Ricky Benton Racing team owner Rick Benton told NBC Sports in an email Wednesday.
The story was first reported by JeffGluck.com.
“I wasn’t done racing — don’t count me out yet,” Smith told Gluck. “It’s just nothing was playing out to be in a good situation in Cup this year.”
Friends for nearly 20 years, Smith and Benton had previously talked about racing together, but as Gluck noted, the timing had never worked out.
Smith’s first run in the No. 92 Ford will be the season-opening race at Daytona. He’ll remain in the truck for the following five races, through Dover on June 2. The rest of the races Smith will drive are undecided.
Smith told Gluck he’d like replicate the start NASCAR On NBC analyst Parker Kligerman had in the No. 92 last season with three straight top-10 finishes: third at Daytona and eighth at both Atlanta and Martinsville.
“If we could duplicate the start we had last year, that would be an ideal situation,” Smith told Gluck. “Then we could aim for top 10s and try to stay up there.
“We have to work to get consistency a little bit, but I think the sky’s the limit. There’s some really good people down there.”
Martins Motorsports announced Tuesday that it has renewed a partnership with Gilreath Farms Red Angus for the 2020 Xfinity Series.
Gilreath Farms and AAN Adjusters, which also is owned by Ken Gilreath, will be the primary sponsor of the No. 44 Xfinity car for 25 races this season. Gilreath Farms sponsored Martins for a race at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2018 when Martins drove for BJ McLeod Motorsports.
“Having Gilreath Farms Red Angus on the car again is special,” Martins said in a statement. “This is really where my partnership with Ken started in 2018, so to see his commitment to us this year…I mean I’ve said it before, it completely changes our entire outlook for this season. It’s really special.”
The first race for the Red Angus Chevrolet will be at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Multiple reports state that Daniel Suarez will drive the No. 96 Cup car for Gaunt Brothers Racing in 2020.
The team has not made any an announcement.
Toby Christie reported Friday at tobychristie.com that a deal was done for Suarez to drive the full Cup season for Gaunt Brothers Racing. Motorsport.com reported Monday that Suarez would join Gaunt Brothers Racing for the full season.
Suarez would replace Parker Kligerman, who confirmed to NBC Sports on Friday that he would not return to the No. 96 car this season.
This would be the fourth Cup season for Suarez. He drove for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2017-18 before being replaced by Martin Truex Jr. Suarez moved to Stewart-Haas Racing in 2019 and was replaced after the season by rookie Cole Custer.
Suarez continues to seek his first Cup win. He has eight top-five and 32 top-10 finishes in 108 Cup starts. He won the 2016 Xfinity title, a year after winning rookie of the year honors in that series.
Gaunt Brothers Racing debuted in 2017, running one race with D.J. Kennington. The team ran 22 races the following year between Kligerman, D.J. Kennington, Jeffrey Earnhardt and Jesse Little. The team ran 15 races last year with Drew Herring running once along with Kligerman’s 14 starts.