Report: Brendan Gaughan says he will be entered in Daytona 500

Photo by Jeff Curry/Getty Images
0 Comments

Brendan Gaughan tells the Las Vegas Review-Journal he will be entered in this year’s Daytona 500. Gaughan told the newspaper he’ll drive for a team owned by Mark Beard. The team does not have a charter and will have to earn a spot in the field.

Gaughan, who competes full-time in the Xfinity Series for Richard Childress Racing, is at least the second non-chartered entry for the 500. Tommy Baldwin Racing announced Thursday that it will field an entry for Elliott Sadler.

Michael Waltrip said last month on Twitter that he would have a ride for the Daytona 500 but offered no other details, including if the team would have a charter, other than state the car will be a Toyota. He drove in last year’s 500 for BK Racing and that entry had a charter and was guaranteed a starting spot.

Gaughan has run once in the Daytona 500. He finished 19th in the 2004 event.

Gaughan said Beard bought a Leavine Family Racing car and will have ECR engines. Gaughan said his RCR pit crew would service the car.

“We’re an open team, but I feel very confident that with ECR motors we’re going to be able to make the show,” Gaughan told the Review-Journal.