No announcement on Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s status expected until later in week

0 Comments

Hendrick Motorsports tweeted Monday morning that no announcement on Dale Earnhardt Jr.‘s status for this weekend’s race at Michigan International Speedway is expected to be announced before Wednesday afternoon.

Earnhardt has not competed since the July 9 race at Kentucky Speedway because of a concussion suffered June 12 at Michigan. Symptoms did not show until July.

If Earnhardt is not cleared to race this weekend, Hendrick Motorsports has stated that Alex Bowman will drive the No. 88 car. Bowman drove for Earnhardt last month at New Hampshire.

Jeff Gordon, who has driven for Earnhardt at Indianapolis, Pocono, Watkins Glen and Bristol, has said he would miss the weekend because of a prior commitment. Gordon did say he would be available if needed the following week at Darlington Raceway for the Southern 500 and other races beyond that.

Car owner Rick Hendrick said Saturday at Bristol that Earnhardt has another doctor’s appointment this week.

“Dale looks great,” Hendrick said. “We are taking extra effort with the doctors, making sure he’s going to be 100 percent. He’s coming along great and he wants to get back into the car.”