Dale Earnhardt Jr. tweets update on his condition

Photo by Jerry Markland/Getty Images
3 Comments

Dale Earnhardt Jr. tweeted an update on his condition Saturday morning, shortly before Sprint Cup cars were scheduled to practice again without him.

This is the third weekend that Earnhardt has missed as he recovers from concussion-like symptoms. Jeff Gordon is driving the No. 88 this weekend at Pocono for Earnhardt, who has had issues with balance and nausea. Earnhardt has preached patience in his recovery.

Saturday, Earnhardt tweeted: “Update: No change lately. Symptoms have plateaued over the last week. Balance/Gaze Stabilization are only issues. Docs preaching patience.”

Earnhardt said last week he would provide an update on his condition Monday on the Dale Jr. Download podcast. Hendrick Motorsports has not announced who will drive the No. 88 next weekend at Watkins Glen.

Gordon was asked about his role with the No. 88 team and if he expected to be in the car at Watkins Glen.

“I’m not speculating anything at this time,” Gordon said. “I wouldn’t be here in Pocono if I wasn’t committed to be there for Hendrick Motorsports and this team in any way that they need me. I think there is a balance between trying to make this transition.  First of all you want Dale to have the comfort of knowing that somebody is there for him. He doesn’t have to worry about that aspect of it through this process. Just get well at the pace that is the right pace to do it. So, nobody is putting any pressure or time frame on that. He may be putting that on himself more than anybody else.

“Then there is the side of who is the best person to be in the car to get the most points. And then there is the sponsorship side of it as well. So far from what Rick (Hendrick) is telling me that seems to be me. That is why I was at Indy and that is why I’m here.”