Entrepreneur H. Clay Earles opened Martinsville Speedway in 1947, and his vision for stock car racing still endures to this day. Earles was known for promoting races even before the framework of NASCAR took shape.
Ard, a native of Scranton, S.C., died in April 2017. He was 78.
A look at drivers to watch at Talladega:
- Points position: 6th
- Last three races: 10th at Texas, 9th at Bristol, 2nd at Kansas
- Past at Talladega: 2 career wins
- Points position: 3rd
- Last three races: 7th at Texas, 3rd at Bristol, 6th at Kansas
- Past at Talladega: Best career finish is a second
- Points position: 24th
- Last three races: 8th at Texas, 13th at Bristol, 25th at Kansas
- Past at Talladega: 6 wins, the active leader
QUESTIONS TO ANSWER
- Points position: 15th
- Last three races: 36th at Texas, 34th at Bristol, 26th at Kansas
- Past at Talladega: 1 career win, in 2008
- Points position: 8th
- Last three races: 32nd at Texas, 2nd at Bristol, 11th at Kansas
- Past at Talladega: 1 career win, in 2019
- Points position: 17th
- Last three races: 31st at Texas, 36th at Bristol, 5th at Kansas
- Past at Talladega: Best career finish is 5th
The final six races in the chase for the NASCAR Cup Series championship will be televised by NBC.
Post-race commentary and analysis for all six remaining Cup races will be carried on Peacock.
Joey Logano enters Talladega with the playoff point lead.
Playoff rookies roll on
Ross Chastain is second in the standings, 18 points above the cutline entering Talladega.
Looking for wins
An opening for Brad?
Few people who watched it will forget the first Cup Series victory scored by Brad Keselowski.
This week’s schedule and forecast
(All times Eastern)
Friday, Sept. 30
- 3:30 – 5 p.m. — Truck Series qualifying
- 5:30 – 7 p.m. — Xfinity Series qualifying (USA Network)
Saturday, Oct. 1
- 10:30 a.m. – Noon — Cup Series qualifying (NBC Sports app, Motor Racing Network, Sirius XM NASCAR Radio)
- 12:30 p.m. — Truck Series race (94 laps, 250 miles; FS1, Motor Racing Network, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio)
- 4 p.m. — Xfinity Series race (113 laps, 300 miles; USA Network, Motor Racing Network, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio)
Sunday, Oct. 2
- 2 p.m. — Cup Series race (188 laps, 500 miles; NBC, Motor Racing Network, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio)