The Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown has been cancelled for 2016.
According to Denny Hamlin Foundation Race Coordinator Buck Reuss, uncertainty about the host track’s future prompted the cancellation.
“It is correct, the race has been cancelled for 2016,” Reuss said in an email to NASCAR Talk. “But only for this year.
“As for another track, it had been done in the past, but with the timing (Denny Hamlin Foundation) thought it would be better to wait until 2017.”
Langley Speedway in Hampton, Virginia, was to host the event on April 21, but a dispute between the track operator and the individual that owns the land the track sits upon left the Showdown in limbo.
The track, which opened in 1950, has not posted its regular race schedule for 2016. That further prompted the Denny Hamlin Foundation to cancel this year’s charity race.
Also, because of the stalemate, NASCAR has not re-signed to hold three races it typically holds at Langley: one in the K&N Pro Series East and two other races in the Whelen Southern Modified Tour Series, according to the Daily Press.
This would have been the ninth annual Showdown and first at Langley Speedway. The Late Model race had previously taken place at Southside Speedway, Richmond International Raceway and South Boston Speedway.
The event raises funds for the Foundation, which supports Cystic Fibrosis research and therapy.
If the current issues involving Langley are resolved, Reuss said the Showdown could be held there in 2017.
Previous Showdown winners:
2015 – Timothy Peters
2014 – Matt Bowling
2013 – Kyle Busch
2012 – Tony Stewart
2011 – Denny Hamlin
2010 – C.E. Falk
2009 – Kyle Busch
2008 – Kyle Busch