Kyle Busch won the 2015 Sprint Cup title but you won’t see his name on many lists of the top drivers in certain stat categories.
One of those is driver rating.
NASCAR tabulates a driver rating based on totals in wins, finishes, top-15 finishes, average running position while on the lead lap, average speed under green, fastest lap, led most laps and lead-lap finish. There is a maximum 150 points per race. They must have raced in 75 percent of scheduled point-paying races.
That last part means you won’t see Kyle Busch on this list after he missed the first 11 races of the year due to injury. In 2014, Busch ended the year with a rating of 89.2, the 10th best.
Here is a look at the top 10 drivers in driver rating.
- Kevin Harvick (119.0) – The Stewart-Haas racing driver finished 2015 exactly where he did in 2014 when he won the championship with a rating of 110.5.
- Joey Logano (106.5) – Winning the most races in 2015 wasn’t enough for Logano, who moved up one spot from 2014 (110.2). He replaced Jeff Gordon in the runner-up spot.
- Kurt Busch (104.2) – Busch didn’t even crack the top 10 in 2014 (11th, 87.8).
- Brad Keselowski (101.7) – The 2012 Cup champion may have had a lower number than his 2014 rating (103.7), but he finished 2015 in the same spot.
- Martin Truex Jr. (99.7) – The first driver not to surpass 100.0 in their rating, Truex will be OK since he ended 2014 with a rating of 71.2 in 23rd.
- Jimmie Johnson (99.3) – The six-time champion dropped one spot from his 2014 total when he rated 99.1.
- Matt Kenseth (99.1) – Kenseth finished the year with the seventh-best rating for the second year in a row. In 2014, he earned a 93.1 rating.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. (97.1) – The Hendrick Motorsports star slipped two spot from his 2014 final standing. He finished with the a 97.8 rating then.
- Carl Edwards (95.7) – His first year with Joe Gibbs Racing saw Edwards jump seven spots from 17th in 2014, when he finished with a rating of 80.9.
- Denny Hamlin (95.3) – Down two spots from 2014, when he finished with a rating of 91.5.