Richard Petty Motorsports to remain with Ford

0 Comments

MOORESVILLE, N.C. – Richard Petty Motorsports announced Tuesday that it will remain with Ford beyond this season.

Ford and RPM officials would not state how long the agreement will last. Brian Moffitt, CEO of Richard Petty Motorsports, said the deal is for “the foreseeable future.”

The deal encompasses RPM’s Sprint Cup and Xfinity programs.

Said Sammy Johns, director of operations at RPM: “We’re really looking forward to this extension with Ford. Ford has really been stepping up their engineering and things they’re doing in support to provide the teams. We’ve been working very hard this year to strengthen that support and get our cars winning races and championships … and Ford is really going to help us cover that in the future.”

RPM has been with Ford since 2010. The team has three Sprint Cup wins during that time: Marcos Ambrose at Watkins Glen in 2011 and 2012 and Aric Almirola at Daytona in July 2014.

Almirola made the Chase last year, placing 16th. He missed it this year. Almirola is 18th in the points heading into Saturday’s race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Teammate Sam Hornish Jr. is 27th. Almirola is coming off a fifth-place finish at Dover International Speedway, his career-high third top-five finish of the season.