Elliott Sadler to drive for JR Motorsports in 2016

2 Comments

DOVER, Del. – JR Motorsports announced Friday morning that Elliott Sadler will drive for the team next season with One Main Financial as sponsor. The team did not announce a car number of who would be Sadler’s crew chief.

The move pairs Sadler with his friend Dale Earnhardt, co-owner of the team.

“I never did think we would get to work full-time,” Earnhardt said to Sadler as they periscoped the news. “So this is an amazing time for us to hang out together. It’s going to be lot of fun.”

Said Sadler: “To be able to drive for one of your buddies … we’re looking forward to it.”

Sadler competes for Roush Fenway Racing in the Xfinity Series. He joined that organization last year after having  spent the previous two seasons with Joe Gibbs Racing’s Xfinity program.

The 40-year-old Sadler enters Saturday’s Xfinity race at Dover International Speedway having started 160 consecutive series races, second only to Brian Scott’s streak of 195 consecutive races among active drivers. No one else in the series has started more than 100 consecutive Xfinity races.

Sadler is sixth in the points. He’s finished in the top five in points each of the previous four seasons.