The wives and girlfriends of NASCAR drivers can be just as competitive and aggressive behind the wheel as their husbands and boyfriends.
And you better believe that they take the Better Half Dash as seriously as their counterparts take every NASCAR race.
The fifth edition of the Better Half Dash will take place next Thursday, Oct. 8, at Charlotte Motor Speedway, just before their better halves attempt to qualify for the Sprint Cup pole that same evening.
Nearly a dozen ladies will put the pedal to the metal, piloting U.S. Legend Cars International Bandoleros along CMS’ quarter-mile frontstretch oval.
While the event is for a worthy cause, raising money for such charities as Motor Racing Outreach and Speedway Children’s Charities, the lady drivers will take their task very seriously.
The winning driver will earn $10,000 for charity: $5,000 for her favorite charity, as well as $2,500 each for Speedway Children’s Charities and Motor Racing Outreach.
In a fierce battle, last year’s Dash winner was Kristen Yeley (photo above), wife of driver J.J. Yeley.
“I am proud to be a part of something that recognizes the backbone of NASCAR women,” Yeley said in a media release. “As a BHD veteran and 2014 champion, I look to defend my title and support my charities: MRO and Beds for Kids.”
Husbands and boyfriends will not only be cheering, they’ll also serve as crew chiefs and spotters for their ladies.
Here’s this year’s entry list:
* Jordan Fish, girlfriend of NASCAR driver Denny Hamlin
* Tandra Greenfield, wife of NASCAR driver Clay Greenfield
* Shannon Koch, wife of NASCAR driver Blake Koch
* Tatiana Papis, wife of NASCAR driver Max Papis
* Jenna Robinson, wife of NASCAR pit crew member Clay Robinson
* Whitney Scott, wife of NASCAR driver Brian Scott
* Melanie Self, representing Motor Racing Outreach
* Ashley Stremme, wife of NASCAR driver David Stremme
* Katelyn Sweet, girlfriend of NASCAR driver Kyle Larson
* Wendy Venturini, NASCAR analyst for Fox Sports 1 & PRN
* Kristen Yeley, wife of NASCAR driver J.J. Yeley
Qualifying takes place Monday, Oct. 5, at CMS. Fans can help determine the polesitter by visiting www.go2mro.com/betterhalfdash and donating to their favorite driver. The driver with the most donations will lead the field to the green flag.
For more information, go to www.charlottemotorspeedway.com, www.go2mro.com/betterhalfdash or follow #BetterHalfDash on Twitter.