JOLIET, Ill. — Saturday night’s Owings Corning AttiCat 300 NASCAR Xfinity Series race has been postponed to Sunday morning due to heavy rainstorms.
The race was originally slated to start at 9:35 pm ET Saturday night.
Now, the rescheduled race will start at Noon ET/11 am local time.
Weather forecasts call for a chance of storms in the morning, tapering to just a 10 percent chance of rain by Noon local time.
Chicagoland Speedway officials cleared the grandstands and put fans underneath out of harm’s way just before the first storm hit, accompanied by thunder and lightning.
The track has a midnight CT curfew to conclude a race that is imposed by the city of Joliet. However, there are exceptions to that curfew, such as a race not being fully completed but within a reasonable expected time of completion.
But NASCAR officials determined after looking at a variety of weather models that more severe weather was likely for the area later Saturday night, prompting the delay until Sunday.