Kyle Busch will return to the Xfinity Series on Saturday at Michigan International Speedway, marking his first race in that series since he was injured in the Feb. 21 season opener at Daytona. Joe Gibbs Racing made the announcement Monday on Twitter.
Busch will drive the No. 54 car at Michigan.
“I’m really looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of the 54 Monster Energy Toyota this weekend,” Busch said in a statement from the team. “I can’t say enough about how much Monster Energy, JGR and all my guys have helped me and pulled for me to get back into the Xfinity car. This is a continuation of my recovery since Daytona, and we hope to continue to add to my schedule going forward through the rest of the year.
“I’m looking forward to working with Chris Gayle again and I’m optimistic for a good run at Michigan. If I remember it right, my last run here in the No. 54 started off strong, we didn’t get the finish we wanted then, but I look to redeem that this week.”
This will be only Busch’s fifth weekend back since he suffered a compound fracture of his right lower leg and a mid-foot fracture of his left foot when his Xfinity car struck an inside wall at Daytona International Speedway that was not protected by any type of energy-absorbing barrier.
Busch returned for the Sprint All-Star race last month and has competed in Sprint Cup races at Charlotte, Dover and Pocono since.
Busch said in April that he anticipated returning to the Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series.
“Obviously we have contracts in place so there’s reasons for me to get back in those cars and pursue races, but as quickly as that might be we’ll just play it out and see how I feel,” he said at the time. “I think I’ll kind of work up to that.”
Busch has run in the top five and top 10 through much of his first three Cup points races back.