NASCAR fined Jennifer Jo Cobb $5,000 and placed her on probation for walking on to the track after an accident in last weekend’s Camping World Truck Series race at Dover International Speedway. NASCAR also placed Cobb on probation through Dec. 31.
Cobb was upset after wrecking with eventual winner Tyler Reddick close behind her. After climbing from her vehicle, Cobb took 12 steps up the track to gesture toward Reddick when he went by under caution. On the next lap, she tried to go back up the track but was blocked by a NASCAR official.
NASCAR instituted a rule last August that requires drivers to stay in their vehicles until the safety crew arrives – unless there’s an emergency and they must exit immediately – and prohibits drivers from walking on the track toward the field.
The rule was created after Kevin Ward Jr. was struck and killed by Tony Stewart’s sprint car last year at New York track. Ward exited his car and walked down the track toward Stewart’s when he was hit.
“The fact that I forget is such a shame because the reason (the rule) is in place likely stems from a tragedy that none of us should forget,’’ Cobb said after meeting with NASCAR officials after last Friday’s Dover race.
Cobb released a statement in response to the punishment on her Facebook page.
“I believe NASCAR has acted fair in a necessary manner,” Cobb said. “The irony is that there are no consequences to turning someone head first into a wall. However, NASCAR is diligent about our safety and that is something I have always appreciated. I hope we can continue to see improvements in rules and policies that best benefit the entire NASCAR community.”
Shortly after that statement was posted, it no longer was on Cobb’s Facebook page.