Kyle Larson was released from the hospital Monday night, completed medical testing Tuesday and awaits clearance to return to NASCAR, Chip Ganassi Racing said in a release.
The No. 42 Chevrolet driver had been undergoing medical tests since fainting during an autograph appearance Saturday afternoon at Martinsville Speedway, causing him to miss a Sprint Cup race. Larson, who arrived at Carolinas Medical Center late Saturday night, was replaced by Regan Smith in Sunday’s STP 500.
The team has said that tests show nothing out of the ordinary, and that Larson is feeling fine. Minority team owner Felix Sabates told SiriusXM NASCAR Radio that doctors were focusing on Larson’s heart but didn’t find anything serious.
NASCAR officials have said Larson will need approval from a doctor before he can return to racing. The series is off for Easter weekend before returning April 11 at Texas Motor Speedway.
Tuesday’s statement from Chip Ganassi Racing:
After extensive testing and observation over the last few days, Kyle Larson was released from the hospital last night and has finished up final tests today. He is currently waiting for final doctor recommendations in order to clear him to return to all NASCAR related activities.
Larson is the sixth full-time Sprint Cup driver to miss a race since the start of the 2014 season.