After an impressive eighth Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway, there are no upcoming NASCAR races on Brett Moffitt’s 2015 schedule.
Michael Waltrip Racing wants to change that, and the team would be open to putting the 22-year-old in another organization’s seat to gain experience while continuing to hunt for sponsorship to put Moffitt in an MWR car.
“Brett has been in the MWR system the past couple of years and we’re enthusiastic about his potential,” MWR co-owner Rob Kauffman said in a statement. “Brett is under a multiyear agreement with Michael Waltrip Racing. MWR would love to get back to a three-car team and grow with him into the future.
“Before this past weekend we stated that we felt his name should be mentioned among the impressive crop of young drivers coming into the sport, and the Atlanta result validated that claim. While we work toward a fully supported in-house program, it is MWR’s desire that Brett get more quality opportunities in either of NASCAR’s top divisions and we will work diligently to make that happen.”
Moffitt has made 11 starts across NASCAR’s top three national series over the past three years – two in the Camping World Truck Series and one in Xfinity in 2012; and eight across Sprint Cup in 2014-15. Last year he made seven Cup starts in a Toyota for Jay Robinson Racing, posting a best of 22nd at Dover International Speedway.
He also has been working with Toyota Racing Development at its chassis shop in Salisbury, N.C., helping with simulation testing and race development for MWR.
Moffitt drove the No. 55 Toyota at Atlanta in place of Brian Vickers, who returns this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Vickers missed the first two races while recuperating from heart surgery in December.
“We are proud of how the entire No. 55 Aaron’s Dream Machine team has performed while Brian Vickers was recovering,” Kauffman said. “The race in Atlanta showcased the progress of the entire organization, as well as a promising young driver in Brett Moffitt.”