In light of Kyle Busch’s crash last week at Daytona International Speedway, Speedway Motorsports Inc. is joining counterpart International Speedway Corp. to further enhance safety features at its race tracks.
According to The Charlotte Observer, SMI CEO Marcus Smith said changes are planned for several of the company’s tracks, including Las Vegas Motor Speedway, which hosts NASCAR’s Sprint Cup and Xfinity Series next weekend.
“I don’t know if NASCAR officials have been out there (LVMS) to review it, they’ve been pretty busy between Daytona and Atlanta,” Smith told The Observer. “I wouldn’t be surprised that come Monday we have some additions.”
Smith said SMI, which also owns Atlanta Motor Speedway, sent 1,100 tires to the track earlier this week to create tire packs in areas that are not covered by SAFER barriers.
Even before Busch’s crash, plans had already been in the works to add more SAFER barriers and other safety improvements at several SMI tracks, including Charlotte, New Hampshire and Kentucky, The Observer reported.
“With Kyle’s accident in Daytona, it’s caused us to look twice at everything and we’re working with NASCAR to see what else there is out there and I expect there will be more additions to SAFER barriers,” Smith said.