Premium Motorsports

Premium Motorsports completes acquisition of Tommy Baldwin Racing

Leave a comment

Premium Motorsports announced Thursday that it has completed the purchase and acquisition of all assets from Tommy Baldwin Racing.

Team owner Jay Robinson said in a media release that his Mooresville, North Carolina-based organization had acquired TBR’s entire NASCAR Cup Series inventory, including vehicles and equipment.

Premium Motorsports also purchased the trucks and equipment that TBR had previously leased to Halmar Friesen Racing’s No 52 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series team.

According to the media release, “the purchase was made to assist and enable Premium Motorsports in growing a bigger and stronger NASCAR Monster Energy Cup and Camping World Truck Series operation in 2018.”

Follow @JerryBonkowski

NASCAR’s preliminary entry lists for Texas Motor Speedway

Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images
1 Comment

After a week apart, the NASCAR Cup and Xfinity Series team reunite this weekend at the newly repaved and reconfigured Texas Motor Speedway.

It’s the last trace weekend before all of NASCAR takes a week off.

Here’s the preliminary entry lists for both series.

Xfinity – My Bariatric Solutions 300

There are 41 cars on the entry list for the Xfinity race. A full field is 40 cars, meaning one car will go home.

There are seven Cup drivers entered into the race: Joey Logano, Kevin Harvick, Austin Dillon, Ty Dillon, Ryan Blaney, Erik Jones and Daniel Suarez.

There is not a driver attached to the No. 90 car.

Last year, Kyle Busch won this race from the pole after leading 150 laps. Kyle Larson won the fall race at Texas after Brad Keselowski led 145 laps.

Click here for the full entry list.

Cup – O’Reilly Auto Parts 500

For the first time since the Daytona 500, a full field of 40 cars are entered into a Cup race.

JJ Yeley will drive the No. 7 for Tommy Baldwin Racing. TBR made its last appearance at Daytona with Elliott Sadler.

Kyle Busch is the defending winner of the race, having led the final 33 laps to beat Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Joey Logano.

Carl Edwards won the fall race, which was shortened by rain. It was Edwards’ last win before stepping away from NASCAR in the offseason.

Click here for the full entry list

Regan Smith says ‘I’m not done racing’ as he searches for a ride

Photo by Jason Hanna/Getty Images
1 Comment

Southern 500 winner Regan Smith told SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Friday that he’s looking for a ride for the upcoming NASCAR season and didn’t rule out running in any of the top three national series.

Smith, who co-hosted “The Morning Drive,’’ was left without a ride after Tommy Baldwin Racing sold its charter after last season and reduced its involvement in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. The organization has stated it would seek to make the Daytona 500 with Elliott Sadler but has not announced any other Cup plans.

Asked what he will be doing this season, Smith told SiriusXM NASCAR Radio: “Working on stuff. I wish I had a better answer for you. It’s down to crunch time. We’ll see what happens. There have been some opportunities here and there.

“I’ll just be brutally honest, when it comes to and pertains to the Cup series, you want to be competitive when you’re out there. This year I’m willing to wait until I can get myself in a situation to where I’m competitive and I can actually go out and do what I feel like I’m capable of.

“With that said, you have a little different mindset during the offseason when that is your thought process. We’re working through some stuff. That’s not to say that I won’t do some Xfinity and Truck races here and there in the meantime.

“I like racing at Daytona, so I’d like to be down there in something. We’ll see how that all plays out. I’m not done racing. I love racing. I love driving cars. I enjoy different kind of things. I’d like to be a part of the sport. Whether that is behind the wheel or different avenues or different things, we’ll see how it goes.’’

The 33-year-old Smith has 211 career Cup starts and won the 2011 Southern 500. He had two top-10 finishes last year for Tommy Baldwin Racing, placing third at Pocono in the fog-shortened race and finishing eighth in the Daytona 500.

Smith has six wins in 205 career Xfinity starts. He finished in the top four in points in that series from 2013-15, scoring five wins during that time with JR Motorsports. Smith also has 23 Camping World Truck Series starts but last drove in that series in 2008.

 and on Facebook

New Cup team to field Daytona 500 entry

1 Comment

Gaunt Brothers Racing plans to enter all four Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series restrictor-plate races this season, beginning with the Daytona 500.

D.J. Kennington will seek for the qualify for the season-opening race. The team has no charter and is not guaranteed a starting spot.

Other non-chartered teams that have announced plans to vie for a Daytona 500 starting spot are: Tommy Baldwin Racing (Elliott Sadler) and car owner Mark Beard (Brendan Gaughan). Michael Waltrip also has stated on Twitter he will compete but has not offered any other details.

Gaunt Brothers Racing is owned by Marty Gaunt, president of Triad Racing Technologies.

“With the recent unveiling of the 2018 Toyota Camry, we feel that now is the right time to return to the racetrack,” said Gaunt, whose Triad engines powered five championship-winning Toyota drivers and contributed to multiple manufacturer championships at the NASCAR national level, in a statement.

The team competed in what is now the NASCAR Pinty’s Series in 2011. Gaunt Brothers Racing is fielding a Toyota Camry in partnership with Triad client RAB Racing, which is led by Robby Benton. RAB Racing will supply cars, shop space and technical support.

“Our aspirations will be no small task, but we know what we need to do to position ourselves to make this a successful effort,” Benton said in a statement. “We’ll transition over to the Daytona 500 after competing in the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona with our sports car program later this month.”

Kennington, who is from St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada, is a two-time NASCAR Pinty’s Series champion. He made his Cup debut last fall at Phoenix International Raceway, placing 35th.

No driver has been announced for the team at the other three restrictor-plate races this season.

 and on Facebook

Elliott Sadler to be entered in Daytona 500

Photo by Brian Lawdermilk/Getty Images
1 Comment

Elliott Sadler will seek to qualify for the Daytona 500 for Tommy Baldwin Racing, the team announced Thursday. Golden Corral will sponsor the car.

Sadler, who competes full-time in the Xfinity Series for JR Motorsports, joins TBR for the Daytona 500. Tommy Baldwin Racing sold its charter after last season and is not guaranteed a starting spot in the Feb. 26 season-opening race.

“This is a great opportunity for me and everyone affiliated with Tommy Baldwin Racing,” Sadler said in a release from the team. “I love the Daytona 500 and to have Tommy and Golden Corral offer me this opportunity is awesome. Tommy and I have known each other a long time. We actually won a qualifying race for the Daytona 500 together back in 2006. We’re gonna rekindle some of that magic and work our tails off to get our car in the race. I know Tommy is putting a lot of effort into this and we’re gonna go out and get the best result we possibly can for him and TBR’s partners.”

Said Baldwin, who was Sadler’s crew chief when they were at Robert Yates Racing: “We look forward to having Elliott join TBR and Golden Corral for the upcoming Daytona 500. Elliott has always been a strong restrictor-plate racer which makes this a great opportunity for everyone involved.” 

Sadler last competed in the Daytona 500 in 2012. He’s made 13 starts in that event with a best finish of second in 2002. Sadler’s last competed in the Cup series in 2013. He ran five races that season. He competed full-time in the Cup series from 1999-2010. He’s run the full Xfinity schedule since 2011.